Monday 12 January 2015

YOU HAVE MADE MISTAKES, SO WHAT?

I woke up this morning around 1.30 am and decided to reflect on my past and discovered I had a lot to the thankful for. Quite a lot has happened over the past 5 years, made so many mistakes, took things for granted, got too comfortable in my comfort zone, etc. but I believe we all need to learn from our mistakes or at the least learn from the mistakes of others.

Life was smooth flowing for me from the beginning and had it good all the way, with no hiccups. Primary to Secondary, to University to the banking industry and never had delays. I got retained where I did 1 year mandatory service (NYSC) at age 23 and rose to the position of a Senior Manager before reality dawned on me and was forced out of my comfort zone.


Bankers as we were/are being called have/had opportunities to excel in life but many failed to utilize it, just like me. We were carried away by the glamour and good things that came with being a banker: good pay, nice car, beautiful homes, overseas trips, nice wardrobe, good and expensive school for the kids, good things of life, the attention and respect from friends and family members, etc. Nobody though it could happen until the CBN Governor was change and all hell was let loose. The believe that it can never happen to me became the gaffe of many as most did not plan for a life after nor make necessary preparation.

The unexpected exit of many led to severe consequences with many committing suicide, became a drunk or a terror at home, psychological damage to the children, etc. Many could not adjust their life style to the present realities nor the capital to start any meaningful business. Those that went into micro lending quickly lost the little cash they had. This was my story!


When I was forced out of my comfort zone, I had only N5,000 in my account with no other means but I had 3 things going for me that saw me through the trying period:

1.      Forced to build a house whose location was not the best at the moment as my dream was to leave in Lekki or Ajah. I had to jettison the idea as the cost then was unattainable and that was my saving grace
2.     A friend introduced me to Ice block making business which provided me with daily cashflow to meet immediately needs but had to stop due to dwindling sales and high cost of maintenance following the influx of others.
3.   Invested (though too late) in lands that were off loaded to provide the much needed support and stability.

I had to seek paid employment twice for stability of income but had to leave due conflict of purpose and my inability to derive the much needed satisfaction and fulfillment that I needed.


I eventually decided to start my own business and I have not looked back since. The road was rough at the initial as I wanted to start big without a clear thought for income generation and running cost as bulk of my capital was tide down in non-earning assets believing that revenue will start flowing in as soon as we open for business (was I wrong!). For six months nothing came in and cost was increasing by the day. I have learnt from my mistakes and much better for it. Some of the lessons learnt as Detailed below:

1.    Always seek change; don’t be too comfortable in any position either as an individual or a business owner
2.      Always have a plan B, an alternative should the initial plan fail
3.     Dare to dream, have a Vision and make effort to achieve as a vision without action is termed “day dreaming
4.     Always invest or have a planned to save for the raining days, which I assure you will come eventually
5.   Start small and grow with time. This is necessary to test the waters and o easily make necessary changes/amendments should the need arise
6.     Empower your partner or spouse as a fallback position and cushion at least for the maintenance of the home before you find your feet
7.      Look for a Mentor or an Adviser to guide you and provide necessary input/insight to achieving your goals
8.      Seek knowledge and it shall set you free. Know yourself and your temperament
9.  We all can’t be entrepreneurs, develop a plan that will ensure regular flow of income even in retirement
10. Don’t be ashamed to ask for help, remember two heads are better than one and problem shared is already half solved.

RELATED: What’s Next?

Whatever your situation or challenges, it’s never too late. Start writing your goals and aspiration, appreciate the challenges (not problems) and seek ways to overcome. The most important is take steps towards achieving your goals and associate with the right crowd that will encourage rather than discourage you.

Remember, a journey starts with a step!


No comments: